Now Corporations Want to Hack Our Dreams – 17 Aug 2023 | Truthstream Media
The Nightmare of Targeted Dream Incubation: How Advertisers are Invading Our Dreams. Truthstream Media is back to scream into The_Void.
Targeted Dream Incubation (TDI) is a protocol designed to incubate specific themes in dreams without any pre-sleep task. TDI is similar to dream incubation, which is a thought technique that aims for a specific dream topic to occur, either for recreation or to attempt to solve a problem. TDI uses stimuli during sleep onset to steer dreams towards specific themes, allowing for controlled studies using dream reports as an independent variable. The Dormio device is an example of a TDI device that enacts the TDI protocol automatically by delivering audio cues to suggest a dream theme to participants during each of a series of awakenings, creating a serial dream incubation paradigm.
“It's already a nightmare and nobody's asleep.”Melisa Dykes
TDI has been shown to increase post-sleep creative performance. Other studies have found dream incubation effective in solving problems of a more subjective, personal nature. To use dream incubation, one can go to bed repeating to themselves that they will dream about a specific topic. For example, a person might go to bed repeating to themselves that they will dream about a presentation they have coming up or a vacation they recently took.
TDI has recently been in the news due to concerns about advertisers using it to steer unconscious minds to thoughts of their products. However, TDI and dream incubation can be used for personal growth and problem-solving purposes as well.
How it Works
Targeted Dream Incubation (TDI) is a protocol designed to guide dreams towards specific themes. Here is how it works:
- Sleep Onset: TDI takes place during the sleep onset period, which is the transition from wakefulness to sleep. This is when the mind is in a state called hypnagogia, which is characterised by a fluid and flexible state of consciousness.
- Sensory Stimulation: TDI relies on the continued sensory processing of sound during sleep onset. This is done through the use of audio cues delivered to the sleeper. The audio cues suggest specific dream themes and help steer the content of the dreams.
- Dream Theme Incorporation: By introducing specific themes through the audio cues, TDI aims to influence the content of dreams. The goal is to reactivate memories and incorporate them into the dream experience.
- Serial Dream Incubation: The Dormio device is an example of a TDI device that enacts the protocol automatically. It delivers audio cues to suggest dream themes to participants during a series of awakenings throughout the night. This creates a serial dream incubation paradigm.
- Dream Reports: TDI allows for controlled studies using dream reports as an independent variable. Participants can provide detailed accounts of their dreams, which can be analysed to understand the effects of targeted dream incubation.
Sources and links
Popular Mechanics Article: